Thursday, April 10, 2014

do it. tell them. if it helped, tell them.

What I write here is my story.  Obviously, I don’t live in a bubble, and I do interact with the world, so my story touches other stories.
But, this is my story.  

My post about October was the first time I had posted a direct memory of an event.  I actually wrote that not long after it happened.  After I posted it, I realized I am now friends with the person who sat next to me on the stairs, and it would probably be a good idea to let him know I had posted and he was in it. 

He knew I wrote a blog, but I’m pretty sure he’s only read it once..


One of the harder messages I’ve sent. 

Mostly because it was a simple, unimportant thing that he did, and it meant SO much.  It helped SO much. Way more than it should have.
To put that much weight on such an insignificant thing… that’s…hard. 

Especially since at the time I really didn't have an opinion of him other than a cute young college kid who never said his few lines loud enough. And hadn't smiled cheesily enough in the last show.

But I did.
I sent it.
And waited.

I seriously have no self-esteem when it comes to my writing ability/style and people's opinions of me as a human and I was sure he was going to think I was a complete moron, or something to that effect.

Of course, he didn't think that. 

A few days ago I had the opportunity to ask him in person why he found me and sat down.  It was one of those things I was totally curious about.  I mean, who does that?  And how did he know it would help?

It was kind of a random question, as I watched him drill more holes in my wall to remount a tv bracket, which he was having difficulty with.  

Ever notice that asking odd questions seems to be easier when the person answering is completely distracted at failing to do a super simple task. (which was hilarious, by the way.)

His response? “You needed it.”
When I asked why he was so silent, “I didn't have any words to say.  Usually I do, usually I have the right words, but then I didn't.”

Obviously, because I needed the silence more than any “right” words.

The moral of the story?

Tell them.  
If someone does something, and it helps, tell them.  Even if it as simple as sitting quietly, utterly failing at remounting a tv bracket exactly where you wanted it, or leaving dirty hand prints so high on the wall after hanging a curtain rod that there is no way in heck you’ll ever be able to clean them, even if you stood on the top of the ladder.

Tell them. People like to know that the little things matter, that the little things help.

So thank you.
Thank you Sir, for helping me change the last few things in the house that no longer belong here.  Thank you for the added holes in the walls and the hand prints.



Dammit, now I need to tell him I posted about him.
Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment