Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Unconventional Hero Assignment

My eldest is in 6th grade.
Her assignment was to write a paper on an unconventional hero. She mentioned it to me in passing, and I didn't think anything else of it.

Below is her paper. Unedited, as she submitted it.

I love her.


My mom is my unconventional hero because she does things I can’t even do. My mom, Kristin, is a stage-manager. My mom is a stage manager for the opera, goes to school, and is my mom, all at the same time!!! She is my unconventional hero because doing three things at once, I can’t even do that, blows my mind. This essay is about my unconventional hero of a mom.
My mom shines. Here is why I think that. One of her quotes is, “Always be yourself unless you can be a unicorn. Then always be a Unicorn.” One thing I see from that quote is always be yourself unless you can shine. My mom has reddish-blonde hair, green eyes, a tattoo of a rose on her wrist, sparkly red glasses, and she is 5’ 4”. My mom is amazing.She still works for the opera, still is my mom, still does school, and now runs a farm. These are more facts about my mom.  Because she believes in herself, she is an unconventional hero.
My mom is a doer. That means she does things that are kind of hard. She once said, “They can take your sparkle, but they can’t take your glitter.” That means they can take all of your stuff, but they can’t take who you are. My mom works for the Shedd, the Opera (the hardest company to stage manage), goes to school ONLINE, and is my mom. That means she does all she can to do a good job at everything she does. A moral I can learn from my mom is; if you follow your dreams, you can do any thing. She had dreamed of becoming a stage manager since she was little, and she did it. Because she does things other people call hard, she is an unconventional hero.


I want you to know about my mom’s past. When she was little, she always wanted to be an assistant stage manager. Now she is a full stage manager, and she has her own assistant. This shows she followed her dreams from the very beginning. When I told her she was my unconventional hero she said, “I never thought my kid would ever look up to me as their hero.” This shows when she was little she didn’t want fame as well as now. Because my mom has never wanted fame and she followed her dream, she is an unconventional hero.
Now we come to the end. Here’s some reasons why, again, my mom is a hero. She stage manages for the hardest thing to stage manage. That means she does the hard and ‘impossible’. She also doesn’t want fame. That’s practically the meaning of an unconventional hero. My mom is amazing, and I hope yours are as well. Because she follows her dreams by doing the ‘impossible,’ she is an unconventional hero.
In the end my mom is my hero. She does what she wants, she’s a doer, and she works hard. All this time she’s been my mom. This is why she is my hero.
 
By;  Hannah

1 comment:

  1. Precious daughters. They grow up so fast. You never know what impact you are really making until much later.

    ReplyDelete