Monday, February 13, 2017

Flowers in February

Valentine's day is not my favorite.

Actually, it annoys the crap out of me.
The idea that February 14th is the only day to celebrate love and kindness, to give little (or not so little) gifts to the loves on your life, is just plain dumb.

I had to go to the store tonight.
We went thru the valentine's section.
 It was full of tired people.
 And children. Children everywhere.
Tired children.

The Littles and I got what we needed and left. Driving home, cleaning the kitchen, making dinner, I was thinking.

Why do I have such an aversion to this day?
It makes no sense.
I am genuinely happy.
I have no jealously towards those that are madly in love, forever in love, newly in love, or comfortably in love.
Hard to belive, but it's true.

Sometimes I will have a someone.
While I have a someone, I will enjoy every moment.
Sometimes I will not have a someone.
While I am alone, I will appreciate every moment.

I've come to the conclusion that even as too-much as I am, there are good guys out there that enjoy spending time with me, at least for a while.

So I truly don't envy or begrudge the valentines their romance.

So then, why do I dislike this holiday?

It's the flowers.
I love cut flowers.
I do not buy myself cut flowers.
That's a bit out of the budget.

In the summer, there is always a mason jar full of whatever is blooming somewhere in the house.

But it's February.
The stores are full of cut flowers.
Flowers that serve no other purpose than to be admired and enjoyed.
No practical reason.
Frivolous.

I miss them.
Frivolous flowers, with their short life span and inpracticality.

That is why Valentine's day is not my favorite.
Because
I miss
flowers in February.



Post script: my mom showed up at my house with a pot of blooming tulips while I was writing this.

Because she remembered I like flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment