Thursday, December 12, 2013

Letter to a Friend

I heard that a friend was struggling.  A good person, someone I've worked with off and on for a couple years.

I hand wrote this in purple ink on a card with disney stickers.  They should receive in in the next day or two.




I heard that you’re having a hard time; that you’re seriously struggling.  I’m so sorry.  I wish I could make it better.

I wish I had a magic wand that I could wave and take away your hurt and stress.
You are loved. I care about you. I want to help.

October 2013 marked the end (I hope) of the hardest year in my entire life.  I went through more tragedies than any one should have to experience in their life and I got them all in twelve months.  The highlights? (low points?) included the death of my father in law, the suicide of a family friend and the collapse of my marriage (a 16 year relationship)

Lessons I learned:
  • The shower is the best place to cry
  • Eventually you will run out of tears. But they replenish quickly.
  • The sleep of the emotionally drained is healing.
  • Humankind is amazing.  Kindred spirits appear.
  • An unexpected shoulder to lean on is a precious thing.
  • The clear night sky will put it all in perspective.
  • Let it go.  You can’t do everything, all the time.
  • The sun will rise and tomorrow will be today, regardless of your wishes.
  • Find a joy.  Everyday. Smile.
  • Say thank you for every kindness.  (You’ll say thank you more than you realize)
  • Don’t lose sight of the truly important.


Know that people care.  Know that unexpected people care.  Accept the caring.

Love,
Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment